Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hearty Allens Minestrone Soup Recipe - Allens Ally Post February 2011

I am a Allens Ally and do monthly posts on their veggie site. Here is my post for February and one of my recipes for Minestone Soup.

It is hard to believe we are already a month into the New Year.  So how is everyone doing with any New Year's resolutions?  Is everyone eating healthier and trying to get fit?  What are you going to do this year to positively affect someone?



I am pleased to report that I reached one of my goals already...I donated ten inches of my hair to help make wigs for women cancer patients. 





It was such an awesome and moving experience.  I was fortunate during my battle with Cervical Cancer, I did not suffer any hair loss.  But being a survivor makes you realized not to take the little things in life for granted.  To cherish each and every moment and try to leave a positive impact on your family, friends, community, county and world.  I felt by donating my hair it would give a cancer patient the chance to have some normalcy back into her life...to walk proud during her battle of a lifetime..and feel beautiful on the outside as well as on the inside.



I am still getting use to having very short hair and so is my family.  It was neat explaining to my young boys why "Mommy" was getting her hair cut off.  They seemed to understand how important it was to help others who are sick.  They are very in tune to that concept after my battle, and how others helped us in many different ways.  I love that I was able to give a part of myself to help another.

My knee continues to get stronger and stronger.  It will not be long and I will be able to start working out again.  I am looking forward to that day.  Working out helps me distress from a busy day and makes me feel better physically and emotionally.  It is so important to stay physically active and eat a healthy diet...it can make a huge different in your over all health...and reduce your risk for cancer. 



Allens products makes it easier for my family and I to eat healthier.  I love having a lot of their canned veggies and beans on hand.  They are easy to store and have a long shelf life (which is not an issue at our house).  I am one of those types of cooks that LOVES to "sneak" veggies into dishes without people knowing they are in there.  And I enjoy fixing meals that are full of Allens healthy and delicious products.

Because it has been very cold here I continue to make a lot of soups and stews. One of my family favorites is Minestrone Soup.  I have included my recipe, as I finally measured it out this time.  I will admit this recipe changes from time to time on what I have available in the pantry...so get creative and enjoy your Allens today.



Ingredients:

2 pounds lean hamburger
5 medium carrots - cut into pieces
1 large onion - diced
1 can Allens Dark Red Kidney Beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can Allens Butter Beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can Fresh Like (Allens brand) whole kernel corn (drained)
1 can cut Allens green beans (drained)
1 can Popeye's Spinach (drained)
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
29oz of Tomato Sauce
64oz Beef Broth
1 Tablespoon and 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
2 Tablespoons Dried Parsley
2 teaspoon Oregano
1 1/2 cups uncooked pasta (elbows)

Directions:

Brown Hamburger in a large stock pot.  Drain.  Add all other ingredients - less the uncooked pasta.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a gentle simmer.  Simmer approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours - until carrots are tender.  Add uncooked pasta into soup 15 minutes before serving.

Enjoy a hearty bowl of this Minestrone soup with a sprinkle of fresh Parmesan cheese and a piece of crusty bread.

1 comment:

  1. That soup looks so good!
    And yay for you donating your hair like that. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by Fishful Thinking Blog. I hope you learned something new and visit again soon.