Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Frosted Banana Bar Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I don't know about all of you out there in cyber-land, but it seems like I always have a banana of two that does not get eaten during its life span.  So I am always placing these eye sores in a ziplock bag in the back of the fridge for the day I need something special to make with bananas. 

In the past I always made my mom's banana bread.  Thanks to my husband (once again) he kept asking for something else I could make with the leftover bananas.  So I went to my stand by recipe site for an inspiration - Allrecipes.com.  Not to my surprise I found a recipe I wanted to try for Frosted Banana Bars.  This recipe has become a family favorite and an excellent way to use up some of the ugly bananas hiding in the back of the fridge. 


My little helper is always ready to help make and bake any of my creations!
Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 1/2 cups white sugar

2 eggs

1 cup sour cream

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup mashed ripe bananas (I love the banana flavor so I always add more bananas - around 2 cups)


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 10x15 inch jellyroll pan.

Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.





Beat in the eggs, one at a time.



Stir in the sour cream and vanilla.







Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into the batter.




Finally, mix in the mashed banana.

Sorry - I didn't photograph the "ugly" bananas before mixing them in.

Spread evenly into the prepared pan.


Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.



Cool the banana bars completely then frost with Cream Cheese Frosting (love to beat together 16oz of softened cream cheese and 1 cup of softened butter - until smooth - I then add enough powdered sugar until the frosting is sweetened to my liking)  and sprinkle with crushed walnuts.




Enjoy!

I forgot to photograph a cut bar - and by the time I realized that - less than 24 hours later - the entire pan was gone!


2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, this looks delicious! I have problems with spoiling bananas too (who doesn't), but I usually end up shoving them into the freezer and then blending them into smoothies later! I'll have to try these bars sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! This is PERFECT for my banana loving hubs. He loves ANYTHING flavored like banana!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by Fishful Thinking Blog. I hope you learned something new and visit again soon.