Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Can't Get Enough Recipe for Low Fat Dog Treats in a Bread Machine - Gourmet Dog Biscuits From Your Bread Machine

As anyone knows by checking out my blog I am always busy cooking and baking for my family.  Well part of our family includes two rescue dogs - Lucky a yellow lab and Radar a Corgi.  Of course I don't like to leave them out of all my tasty treats.

I found a great cookbook called Gourmet Dog Biscuits From your Bread Machine by Sondra Macdonald - years ago. 

I love using this cookbook to make special treats for our two special dogs.  I especially like using these recipes...as the main part of the work to make the treats involves my bread machine.  So I am able to dump the ingredients in and walk away for 1 1/2 hours while the treats mix.

The cookbook has a great table on contents that helps break down which type of treat you are looking to make - like....

Since Lucky needs to lose a few pounds I tried a new recipe out of the cookbook yesterday that is a Low Fat treat. 

It is called Can't Get Enough. 

Ingredients for a Large Batch in a Regular sized Bread Machine:

3/4 cup luke warm water
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup ripe mashed banana
2 Tablespoons cup honey (I love to use Ambrosia Honey Co. which is Raw & Unfiltered
                                          from Colorado's Western Slope)
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3 Tablespoons dry milk powder
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup cornmeal
3 Tablespoons oats, uncooked
2 Tablespoons farina, uncooked
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 1/2 Tablespoons brewer's yeast
2 Tablespoons raisins
2 teaspoons rapid or instant yeast

Directions:

Place all ingredients in bread machine and set on dough cycle.




Check consistency in 5 to 15 minutes - Dough should be a firm, round ball.  Add flour or liquid if necessary.



When cycle is over, roll dough out on a lightly floured surface.




The dough is sticky coming out of the bread machine, but with a little flour it is very easy to work with.



Dough should be about 1/4 inch think.  Cut out treats with a cookie cutter.  Re-roll dough until all is used.



I thought it would be funny to make some shapes of "PIGS" since these are for my heavy dog.

Place treats on a nonstick cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes.  Cool treats on a wire rack for 2 to 4 hours before storing in an airtight container.



***I placed the treats on the wire rack back in the oven at 200 degrees for 2 hours to finish making the treats extra crispy.***

As you can see by the photos below our dogs approved of this recipe.




I thought this photo was perfect - with Lucky's mouth bulging with the dog treat.
 Thrilling Thursday at Paisley Passions

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking up to Thrilling Thursday @ Paisley Passions. I think I may have to give these a try for my dog! I think she would feel super special to have some homemade treats of her own :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by Fishful Thinking Blog. I hope you learned something new and visit again soon.