Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

New Years Eve Good Luck Recipe for Sandhills Black Eyed Pea Salsa w/ Allens Veggies

How many of you have a family recipe or a traditional Good Luck recipe - that you made every New Year's Eve or New Years Day?

It is amazing how these recipes continue in hopes of blessing loved ones with wealth and health to name a few things in the New Year.

I was "Lucky" enough that Allens Veggies asked me to share a Good Luck recipe for New Year's Eve/Day on my blog.  I searched online to see what others do to ring in the new year.  I found many incorporated Black Eyed Peas - Many may asked - Why Black Eyed Peas?

Well...

Eating Black-eyed Peas "Coins" Meant Wealth

In the southern United States, black-eyed peas have long been a New Years Eve staple. The shape and abundance of the legumes was compared to coins; eating the ‘coins’ symbolized gaining wealth.



So I decided to come up with my own Black Eyed Pea Good Luck Recipe.  I like to call it...

Sandhills Black Eyed Pea Salsa

Ingredients:

1 - can drained and rinsed Allens Black Eyed Peas
1 - can drained and rinsed Allens Black Beans
1 - can drained diced, pealed tomatoes
1 - can drained Allens whole kernel corn
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
1/2 cup chopped orange pepper
1 Tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 Tablespoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup olive oil
3 Tablespoons Red wine vinegar
1 - fresh lime
*Optional* 1 - 4oz can died jalapenos

Directions:

Add all ingredients in a large bowl - except the lime.






Mix gently to incorporate.

Cover and refrigerate over night to let the flavors come together.

Squeeze fresh lime over top before serving.



Can be served with tortilla chips or just on the side as a relish.



This recipe turned out wonderful.  It was beauitful to look at and even better to eat.  The textures of the crunchy veggies and the firm beans were a match made in heaven. I think I am going to use this recipe in the summer time to pair with grilled chicken breasts.

The only down fall to this recipe is it didn't stick around long.

Happy New Year Everyone!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my that looks good! I don't think I can get black-eyed peas in my area though. Dag nab it! Might have to substitute black beans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cynthia. I think extra black beans would work out just fine - but if you are interested in the black eye peas - you can order them from Allens with the link in my post. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by Fishful Thinking Blog. I hope you learned something new and visit again soon.